[mythtv-users] DVI to Component?

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Sun Mar 30 17:20:46 UTC 2008

steve wrote:

> the best cable to get is dvi to dvi.  anytime you use a converter
> cable you are subject to signal loss/downgrade.  although, your only
> taking 1 performance step down to component. svideo can only carry
> 480, id switch to dvi->component.

It seems to me the cable he linked to required that he have a DVI-I port,
which means what's coming out of the DVI is component (analog).  Cables do
not subject you to the type of loss you are referring to (conversion loss).
The most the cables he linked to would do would be the same type of loss
available in any analog cable.

As long as your 7300 has a DVI-I port and not just a DVI-D port, your
DVI-Component cables would connect your computer to a display without any
"conversion loss" as the analog signal is coming out of your video card and
not being created by the cables.

However, what you linked to has this caveat.  From the webpage:
http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Component-Adapter-Cable-6ft.asp
"These cables are not compatible with PC or Mac video card outputs unless
specifically stated in your video card. They also do not support Y, Cr, Cb
signals. If you're looking for a way to use your computer video output with
your HDTV display, check out our VGA to HDTV Converter."

So it doesn't look like it will hook up to your TV.