[mythtv-users] using mythnews to replace mythvideo

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 22:50:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> Hello, i was wondering if anyone has used mythnews to replace mythvideo.
>
> I was thinking that because mythnews "runs" on rss feeds, we could create an
> rss feed of all our Movies, and then go into mythnews to play them. One
> major advantage of this is that in the rss feed, you could create "feeds"
> (more or less categories) called Comedy, Drama, etc, so that you can browse
> Movies very easily by genre. You then could create categories based on a
> number of things, like rating (ie, 7.0 to 7.9, 6.0 to 6.9, 5.0 to 5.9 and so
> on), and you could do it by year too.
>
> The idea is that right now, mythvideo though nice, is hard to use when you
> have hundreds of movies, and this would break it down much easier. I know
> you can change the genre in mythvideo, but this would allow for very easy
> switching.
>
> Has anyone thought of this idea before? If so, is there some
> code/script/plugin out there that will create the proper rss file (and
> modify the news-sites.xml file too)?
>
> -Thanks
> -Steve

I would think it would be significantly more efficient to spend your
time on integrating RSS into MythVIdeo than to integrate the
functionality of MythVideo into a primarily-RSS-based news-reading
application.

And I think it would be very useful as well!  :)

-Chad