[mythtv-users] FYI: XFS tweak useful for MythTV

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu May 1 10:32:16 UTC 2008

Like quite a few people here, I prefer XFS for the Myth datastore
because of its good support for large files.  While doing a little
research I came across this:

"Added new data allocator called "filestreams" to 2.6.22 kernels. It
allows a directory to reserve an allocation group for exclusive use by
files created within that directory. Files being written in other
directories will not use the same allocation group and so files within
different directories will not interleave extents on disk. The
reservation is only active while files are being created and written
into the directory. Filestreams can be enabled filesystem wide with a
"-o filestreams" mount option, or on a per directory basis with an
xfs_io(8) chattr flag."

If you are using one block device per storage area then this will be
irrelevant but if you are not then this offers a very useful tweak since
you should be able to use it to reduce fragmentation on the video files.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.