[mythtv-users] HD Slave BE/FE Hardware

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu May 1 21:05:09 UTC 2008

On 5/1/2008 7:49 AM Brian Wood said the following:
> On Apr 30, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>> This machine will inherit the pcHDTV 3000 tuner currently in the BE
>> and
>> will get a new PVR-150 to take advantage of the existing OTA and
>> DirecTV
>> cable runs that are currently behind the television.  The PVR-150 will
>> also provide remote functions for the new box.
>>

> The PVR-150 will only provide OTA reception until next February,
> assuming you are in the USA. The "MCE" version of the PVR does not
> have a remote, if you want to use the Hauppauge remote/blaster you
> need to get that version of the card.

Thank you for your time and thoughts regarding my configuration.

I am aware that the PVR-150 is an analog only card and intended to use
it only with the S-Video outputs on my DirecTV box.  But now you have me
thinking that maybe I should wait on that and see where this new
Hauppauge component video recorder thing ends up since one of my DirecTV
boxes is HD and has component out.  In the meantime, I could just reuse
my PVR-250 in the new frontend since my master backend does not need a
remote.  Hummm.....

Thanks about the MCE version alert.  I wasn't aware of that.  I want the
remote.

> The Core-Duo CPU is overkill for a backend, unless you want to have a
> lot of commflag/transcode capability, but at today's prices it might
> not make sense to get less of a processor.

Actually, I intend to use this machine primarily as a frontend.  It's
secondary purpose is a slave backend and that's only because I have an
OTA and DirecTV cable run behind the television.  By making it a slave
backend and having the pcHDTV 3000 and PVR-x50 cards, I can continue to
use those cable runs.  I also have additional cable runs in my computer
room where I intend to move my existing combo machine and make it a
master backend only.

> I'd consider a smaller HDD for the OS and DB, using the 500GB just for
> video storage. It's usually best to have them on different spindles.
> If I'm reading the specs correctly that case only has 1 3.5" internal
> bay, I don't think you want a backend that's limited to 1 HDD, as it's
> a B/E size/noise shouldn't be a problem so a larger case might be
> worth looking into. Only 2 PCI slots is a bit of a limitation as well,
> you will be maxed out with a 3000 and a 150, though there are many non-
> PCI capture solutions these days.

It is my understanding that I won't require a database on a slave
backend.  Is this correct?  And as you mention, because there is only
room for one internal 3.5" drive in this case, I was going to make one
partition for OS, one for swap, and dedicate the rest to video storage.
My thinking is that with 2 GB of RAM (probably overkill), there will be
little to no swapping and the OS shouldn't be that intrusive on the
drive.  If logging activities seem to be a problem, I could always send
the logs somewhere else.  Does this make sense or am I not seeing the
bigger picture?

> There seems to be a length limit on the PCI cards, make sure your 3000
> will fit if you go with that case.

Good point.  If it does not fit, maybe I could get away with a splitter
on my OTA cable and move my HD HomeRun behind the television.

> 200 watts is a bit light on the PSU as well.

Yes.  But it should be enough, correct?  I don't know all the exact
specs but the CPU is 65W, the hard drive uses 10W, I'd guess the DVD
drive to be the same, which is a total of 85W.  I don't know what the
motherboard, case fans, or the two tuner cards but I expect it should be
well less than 115W (not that the power supply could actually produce
200W continuously).

> This is not a server case, and a back end is basically a server. It
> would work, but why limit yourself so much?

Agreed.  That's why my master backend is in a full tower.  ;)

> Anyway, just my $0.02.

I appreciate it.  Thanks!

Drew

--