[mythtv-users] Dish HD and Mythtv

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu May 1 21:53:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 03:49:18PM -0400, Junk Mail wrote:
> I would like to use Mythtv with my Dish HD service.  Most of the information
> I find for Mythtv setups and instructions appear to be geared towards
> Cable.  Where can I get more information about the Dish HD + Mythtv

    It's all the same as far as MythTV or a non-cablecard Tivo is
concerned. You need to find some method to do analog capture of the
cable signal somehow. For HD this just isn't available right now.

    All the same issues in terms of what outputs you can capture
from are the same and controlling cable boxes pose the exact same
problems.

    I have been through this with Tivos. I've used analog cable with
and without a box and I've used both analog DirecTV and Dish.

    Firewire is an interesting possibility but it's a hit or miss
thing. You will likely be only able to access cable through an IR
blaster (channel changing), the svideo output and some sort of SD
analog capture device (PVR150).