[mythtv-users] Mytharchive stuck in loop after reboot

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Thu May 1 22:11:25 UTC 2008

Jesse Burt wrote:
> A. Dumas wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A few days ago I inadvertently rebooted my computer while Mytharchive
>> was preparing a set of recordings to burn onto a DVD.  Since rebooting,
>> Mytharchive doesn't work.  Clicking on "Archive Files" > "Export Video
>> Files" > "Create DVD" starts up a never ending mytharchivehelp process
>> that uses 100% of the CPU, according to top.  Killing the
>> mytharchivehelp process brings up the next "Select Destination" screen
>> where the type of DVD is chosen.  If I continue and attempt to burn a
>> DVD, the same mytharchivehelp 100% CPU process starts up and apparently
>> just stays in a loop.
>>
>> I assume the ill-planned reboot while running Mytharchive left a lock
>> file or partially erased settings that's preventing Mytharchive from
>> working correctly?
>>

> Andrew,
>
> This happened to me once awhile ago too and I'm not 100% certain, but
> IIRC, there *is* a temporary file or a socket in the MythArchive
> temporary directory that is aptly named and needs to be deleted (the
> directory is set by the user; I set mine to /tmp/mytharchive). Hopefully
> someone else that is more certain will chime in in case you're unable to
> find the file.
>
> Cheers,
> Jesse Burt

The problem with MythArchive leaving a stale lock file behind if it was
killed for some reason was fixed a long while ago so that isn't the
problem here.

It sounds like mytharchivehelper doesn't like one of the files you have
selected for archive. If you can get to the page where you select items
to archive try removing them all and then add them back one by one until
you find the one that is creating the runaway  mytharchivehelper
process. You could also just empty the archiveitems table in the DB.

Paul H.