[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Strangeness

Arpotu arpotu at apathynews.com
Fri May 2 06:15:18 UTC 2008

> Arpotu wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have run MythTV 0.21 on my new Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop for about a week
>> now,
>> while I waited for my PVR-350 to arrive.  Well, it came in today, I
>> hooked
>> it up, and after a few gyrations it is working - kind of.
>>
>> I can use "mplayer /dev/video0" to display the video, but nothing else
>> works with it - MythTV, tvtime, etc, etc... are a no-go.  I can even do
>> the "cat /dev/video0 > blah.mpg", and I get a playable mpeg.
>>
>> tvtime complains with:
>>
>> ivtv: invalid argument
>> Cannot open capture device /dev/video0
>>

> What about a simple start of what
>
> ls -la /dev/video*
>
> shows?
>
> Scott

That shows:

root at junkyard:~# ls -la /dev/video*
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81,  0 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 16 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video16
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 24 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video24
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 32 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video32
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 48 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video48
root at junkyard:~#

Here is how the devices map to functions:

ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video16 for decoder MPG (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video48 for decoder YUV (1024 kB)

I would claim that it doesn't appear to be a problem with ivtv, but I'm
not an expert on linux video.

Arpotu