[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Strangeness

Arpotu arpotu at apathynews.com
Fri May 2 07:06:13 UTC 2008

>> Arpotu wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I have run MythTV 0.21 on my new Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop for about a week
>>> now,
>>> while I waited for my PVR-350 to arrive.  Well, it came in today, I
>>> hooked
>>> it up, and after a few gyrations it is working - kind of.
>>>
>>> I can use "mplayer /dev/video0" to display the video, but nothing else
>>> works with it - MythTV, tvtime, etc, etc... are a no-go.  I can even do
>>> the "cat /dev/video0 > blah.mpg", and I get a playable mpeg.
>>>
>>> tvtime complains with:
>>>
>>> ivtv: invalid argument
>>> Cannot open capture device /dev/video0
>>>

>> What about a simple start of what
>>
>> ls -la /dev/video*
>>
>> shows?
>>
>> Scott
>
> That shows:
>
> root at junkyard:~# ls -la /dev/video*
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81,  0 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 16 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video16
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, I 24 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video24
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 32 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video32
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 48 2008-05-02 01:03 /dev/video48
> root at junkyard:~#
>
> Here is how the devices map to functions:
>
> ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
> ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
> ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
> ivtv0: Registered device video16 for decoder MPG (1024 kB)
> ivtv0: Registered device video48 for decoder YUV (1024 kB)
>
> I would claim that it doesn't appear to be a problem with ivtv, but I'm
> not an expert on linux video.

I wonder if this has to do with mplayer being able to play mpg files but
tvtime (and Myth "Watch TV" function) being unable to.  Perhaps the
PVR-350 is feeding an MPG stream to tvtime, but tvtime is expecting NTSC?
What application plays TV for MythTV?  Is it built-in or a 3rd party app?
If it's built-in, then perhaps it's expecting NTSC as well.

Arpotu.