[mythtv-users] Virtualized MythTV?

Danie Brink danie.brink at gmail.com
Fri May 2 13:35:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been using MythTV at home for a while & it works great. I've just been
asked to come up with something similar for an apartment complex. Anyone
ever tried running a BE under Xen/VMWare? I need (for a start) 20 separate
BE systems and ideally want to avoid getting 20 physical machines (I'd have
to start dangling boxes out the little server room's window).

I was thinking of putting 5 virtual servers on each server (Dual Xeon 3GHz
QC machines with 12GB RAM each & a PVR-250 or Plextor TV402U dedicated to
each virtual machine). The servers have tons of storage so I'm not too
concerned about transcoding, just recording & playing back pre-encoded video
files (MPEG2 & DivX) & serving up photos & mp3s.

Anyone ever try anything like this?

Danie