[mythtv-users] choppy playback on one network frontend fine of the other

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri May 2 16:00:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/02/2008 10:49 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
>  > Thanks for the help.  I finally got the problem "solved" but I still
>  > don't know what is wrong.  I moved some network cables around and
>  > bypassed one of my Gbit switches (worked fine for 15 months).  Now the
>  > frontend plays fine.  But my desktop (frontend 2) is still on the
>  > "bad" switch and still plays fine.  So I guess I will try and replace
>  > the switch and see if there is improvement.
>
>  I'd guess it's more likely the NIC (and its
>  drivers/configuration/interaction with the switch) rather than the
>  switch if the switch works with your desktop.
>
>  Mike

I've got a couple of little $30 LinkSys switches here. One time I
dealt with strange problems on one of the switches. It wasn't until I
noticed that one of the lights wasn't showing the port as 100Mb/S that
I figured out that the port had gotten into a strange state and was
limiting speed. I power cycled the switch and the problem went away
immediately.

I wish my frontend stutter problem was so easily solved. More on that
problem later this morning in my own thread.

- Mark