[mythtv-users] Recorded material stutters, live TV is perfect. Why?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 2 17:38:24 UTC 2008

On 05/02/2008 01:16 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On May 2, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Mark Boyum wrote:
>
>> You haven't indicated what type of material you are recording /
>> playing.  Assuming it is SD, I would say that even at 20% your
>> system should be able to perform decent playback.  I would suspect
>> the problem is related to using a wireless network.  Just to test,
>> try connecting that frontend via Cat5.
>>

> Following this thread I'd missed that you were using a wireless
> network. I agree that is almost certainly at least part of your problem.

And the 20% CPU is probably due to the rebuffering which is due to the
stuttering which is due to the data transfer issues.  I.e. the jump from
12% to 20% CPU is not causing the issue, but a symptom of it.  That's
also why it doesn't stabilize after reducing the speed back to real-time
(because it's still stuttering...).

Mike