[mythtv-users] Virtualized MythTV?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:48:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Danie Brink <danie.brink at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using MythTV at home for a while & it works great. I've just
> been asked to come up with something similar for an apartment complex.
> Anyone ever tried running a BE under Xen/VMWare? I need (for a start) 20
> separate BE systems and ideally want to avoid getting 20 physical machines
> (I'd have to start dangling boxes out the little server room's window).
>
> I was thinking of putting 5 virtual servers on each server (Dual Xeon 3GHz
> QC machines with 12GB RAM each & a PVR-250 or Plextor TV402U dedicated to
> each virtual machine). The servers have tons of storage so I'm not too
> concerned about transcoding, just recording & playing back pre-encoded video
> files (MPEG2 & DivX) & serving up photos & mp3s.

I think if I was doing this, I'd go more with a number of backend machines
needed to record all the content you wanted (say a pack of PVR-500 loaded
into PCI slots or a series of HD Homeruns).  Then layer on top of that some
kind of UPnP server (Myth's server is coming along but other products like
Twonky Media Server seem to work better with clients).  Then you can provide
simple frontends like the Popcorn Hour or people could bring their own UPnP
like a PC or even a PS3.  This avoids all the problems of having to deal
with Myth not being designed for multi-user environments (disabling
scheduling, deletes, etc) and gives the end user some flexibility in clients
while still retaining Myth's power on the backend for scheduling and
managing recordings.

Kevin