[mythtv-users] Security of MythTV Status page?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 3 16:46:57 UTC 2008

On May 3, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Mike Dent wrote:

> Hi,
> just wondering if there are any security implications of opening
> port 6544 of the mythtv status page?
> This would be the only port on my firewall open and forwarded to my
> myth box. Anything I should look out for?

Nothing specific, but as with any firewall opening if it's possible
for you to restrict it to only certain IPs or ranges of IPs that truly
need the access you will be better off. Restricting by time of day is
also useful. The more restrictive you can make openings the better.

Of course this assumes that whatever you are using for a firewall
allows such control.

Obviously the information will not be encrypted, I don't really see a
problem with folks being able to know what your machine's status is,
but if it were me I'd just allow ssh access - more flexible and
encrypted.

You also might log activity on that port, it would be interesting to
know if the bad guys out there are hammering it.

beww