[mythtv-users] DVB EIT EPG scan interval and some newbie questions

Sat May 3 19:58:01 UTC 2008

Hi!

I'm new to MythTV and since I use a DVB-T card I wanted to grab my EPG
data directly from EIT. That works well once I tune a channel using the
frontend. However, I couldn't find anything about scan intervals or
similar. Using VDR I could set an idle time like 3 hours after which a
full channel scan was run. Furthermore I could easily connect through
telnet and send the SCAN command when I didn't want to wait so long for
the scan to be started.

How does MythTV scan EIT tables for updates? Does that only happen when
a channel is tuned on frontend or is there any way to run a complete
automatic update on backend before I shut my computer down?
mythfilldatabase runs way too fast - if it scans anything then it's just
the currently tuned channel. Doing a full scan should take about 10 to
15 minutes to complete but it only takes about 5 seconds to complete
episode start and end marking (whatever that means).

Then I've got 2 other questions:

1) Do I need to run mythfilldatabase regularly to search for
    auto-timers?

2) I can't tune the two VHF channels for my area. It worked with VDR but
    doesn't now with MythTV. Are there any restrictions I didn't notice?
    This may not be a MythTV problem at all since I can't check signal
    quality; maybe the antenna is just misplaced; but in case there are
    restrictions I wanted to have asked. ;) ("No signal" on scan with
    manually entered frequency in Hz)

Thanks,
Daniel