[mythtv-users] watching videos over wireless connection.

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Sun May 4 16:33:07 UTC 2008

Gary Dawes wrote:
>>> What's the data rate of your source file?  If it's getting close to
>>> the real-world limit, then forget wireless unless you're living in
>>> a corn field
>>> or bomb shelter.
>>
>> Live TV, recordings (approx 2.2Gb hour), and movies ripped to Myth
>> avi files all work fine for me over wireless to a Windows laptop
>> running the alpha port of mythfrontend, mythtvplayer also works
>> without problem, and I play the movies of a samba share using
>> mplayer on the laptop.
>>
>> This is also while the network is coping with  2 other wireless
>> laptops, and 2  nokia internet tablets. All running 802.2G with wpa.
>> so there should be no problems for you.

You're making a *massive* assumption and leap there!  2.2GB/hour works out
to 5Mbps.  Sounds like you're doing standard def.  If you're doing full-on
ATSC, that can go as high as *19*Mbps.  So while wireless g works for you,
that's great.  It *doesn't* work for me (mainly because I'm running ATSC
HD).  You just can't gloss over what bitrate he's recording at when you're
talking wireless g!

(I don't have any problem with your advice -- it's good.  But you just can't
say "well it works for me so it should for you" without knowing how much
he's trying to blast across his network!)