[mythtv-users] Pentium M laptop as frontend for HDTV?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 5 18:57:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
> >Scott- So none of the Pentium M's are capable of 1080i playback
>  >without XvMC support?
>  >I looked at upgrading the processor in the laptop, but the cost of the
>  >CPU was prohibitive of this path.
>
>  I seem to remember the AppleTV as not quite having enough ponies to
>  handle 1080i decode and display with Xv alone. I would have to check
>  against the 1.7GHz again, give me a few days to cycle this in.
>
>  The board I have is this one (http://www.bwi.com/prodroot/494989).
>  Its cost with cpu, ram, disk, enclosure and power supply was much
>  more that a MacMini. I also have a 1.66GHz original MacMini with Core
>  Duo that will smoke it regarding performance and form factor plus
>  have bluetooth and 802.11n wifi.
>

>  >The other option I have is one of those Ultra-small Form Factor
>  >devices like Dell sells. They have some with Pentium D's and Pentium
>  >IV's at >3.0GHz which I also understand is capable of 1080i playback
>  >without XvMC (not that I'm against XvMC, I just have never had the
>  >best of luck with it)
>  >

>  Pentium-D and Pentium-4 suck in my option, Core/Core2 Duo is so much
>  better and they run much cooler which means the cpu fan does not
>  sound like a freaking wind tunnel.

Right, but for a cost between the AppleTV and Mac Mini I can get a P4
3.2GHz which I believe will handle 1080i with no issues.

>  It all depends on your cost factors, but if I were you I would wait
>  until the new MacMini's come out in a month or so. This will discount
>  the current line by $100 or more. Then pick up a previous generation
>  MacMini and either run the OSX version of MythFrontEnd or wipe it and
>  install Mythbuntu/KnoppMyth or your favorite MythTV distro. Not only
>  will it handle 1080i mpeg2 decode and display but puts 1080p h.264
>  into range.
>  Add a cheap JP1 remote and you can keep using the existing IR
>  receiver and get more button functions.
>
>  The other thing is an AppleTV and run the one-field deinterlacer for
>  1080i mpeg2. That would be inexpensive, approx $200 to $250 depending
>  on if you get a refurbished one or a new one.

Hrm, I wasn't aware the AppleTV could handle 1080i mpeg2 with any
deinterlacer. I'll have to search the list to see how it does with
x264 HD conversions.

I think I'll wait for the new MacMini to come out before making a
final purchase decision. From what I understand all the Intel based
Mini's that have been released can more than handle 1080i so if the
older ones drop in price as much as you think they will, then that
would put it right around the amount of money I wish to spend, and be
able to handle more than the AppleTV could.

I could also then sell the M-Audio USB sound "card" I currently have
to use to get SPDIF output from the laptop I'm currently using,
that'll put something like $75 into reducing the end cost.

thanks everyone!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!