[mythtv-users] No sound over HDMI with ga-ma78gm-s2h AMD 780G motherboard.

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:51:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:57 AM, covert covert
<thecovert+mythusers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot get any sound over HDMI with MythTV. I have disabled onboard soundcard.
>
>  aplay outputs at the end of this post.
>
>  HDMI is the only device listed in asoundconf list
>
>  In mythtv general settings I have changed Audio output device to all
>  the available options. No sure what to try now. Any help would be
>  greatly appreciated.
>
>  Setup is:
>  MythBuntu 8.04 (MythTV BE/FE)
>  ga-ma78gm-s2h with F3 bios (newest bios)
>

>  aplay -l reports
>
>  **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>  card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

>  aplay -L reports
>
>  front:CARD=HDMI
>     HDA ATI HDMI
>     Front speakers
>  surround40:CARD=HDMI
>     HDA ATI HDMI
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
>  surround41:CARD=HDMI
>     HDA ATI HDMI
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>  surround50:CARD=HDMI
>     HDA ATI HDMI
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
>  surround51:CARD=HDMI
>     HDA ATI HDMI
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>  surround71:CARD=HDMI
>     HDA ATI HDMI
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
>  null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

I forget the exact syntax, but did you try
ALSA:HDMI
or perhaps its ALSA=HDMI
for the MythTV sound setting?
also, you may have to tweak the asoundrc similar to how those trying
to get SPDIF output working do.

have you tried playing back from mplayer or just aplay?

and finally... it looks like that board is setup to use the HDMI as a
native soundcard. Does this mean you can pass 5.1 channels of PCM
through the HDMI if you configure it correctly or is it only able to
pass the SPDIF signal over HDMI like most other video cards?

good luck, and thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!