[mythtv-users] Who needs to worry about copyright? CoreAVCforLinux removed from Google Code

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 5 21:23:13 UTC 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Calvin Dodge wrote:

> No, it wasn't "clearly a violation of the law".  The phone companies
> made good-faith effort to cooperate with the Federal government in its
> attempts to track terrorist activity, and they believed they were
> operating within the law.
>
> But big-name trial lawyers make their living by creating ex post facto
> law - persuading juries that actions which were believed to be legal
> somehow aren't (like claiming fraud due to gigabyte vs gibibyte
> issues).
>
> That's why the Democrats in Congress have been blocking renewal of
> immunity - trial lawyers constitute an important (and wealthy) faction
> of the Democrat coalition.

Well one insider I know told me "of course we knew it was illegal, but
we were potentially screwed no matter what we did, we just had to
decide whether the administration or the courts could hurt us more".

The only "good faith" was they they were trying to carry on business
with the least interruption, which I can certainly understand.

> This doesn't negate your point about such projects being hosted
> outside the US - but that's been happening for some time now (like
> SSL-based projects before RSA's patent expired). DMCA merely provides
> additional incentive for developers to host their work in foreign
> countries.

That's where I'm not sure, whether this is a good thing or not.
Certainly development will move to where it has the maximum freedom,
in all senses, but this will just move more high tech jobs out of the
US.

But we all have to do what we can to minimize any reflection on Myth,
which probably includes ending this thread :-)

beww