[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase failure

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 6 05:25:28 UTC 2008

On 05/05/2008 11:29 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> OK, maybe I missed discussion about this, but about 3 weeks ago
> (apparently), mythfilldatabase started failing, and new recordings
> stopped being recorded.  I'm just now cathing up with this.  Here is the
>   mythfilldatabase.log file I found:
>> 2008-05-05 04:45:35.667 Using runtime prefix = /usr, libdir = /usr/lib
>> 2008-05-05 04:45:35.668 Cannot locate your home directory. Please set the environment variable HOME or MYTHCONFDIR
>> 2008-05-05 04:45:35.668 Failed to init MythContext, exiting.
>> 2008-05-05 04:45:35.668 DataDirect: Deleting temporary files
>>

> Since mythfilldatabase is being run from /etc/cron.daily/mythtv.cron,
> and has been for a year or so now, what changed recently?

MythTV.

> mythtv is installed from ATRPMs and is running on Fedora 8.  Is this a
> packaging error from ATRPMs?

Nope.  It's a user configuration error.  Either run your
mythfilldatabase automatically (since the packager--i.e. Axel, with help
from Nick Morrott--made sure that the backend start script is correct)
or, if you really must run a configuration that fails to use the
recommended run time provided by Schedules Direct (educated guess), fix
your cron job so that HOME is specified in the environment used to
execute mythfilldatabase--just like the error message is saying.  (Don't
set MYTHCONFDIR.)

>   If so, why haven't other complained?
>
> BTW, if I su to root (sudo su -), I can run mythfilldatabase by hand
> without running into this problem.

Because you have a proper environment--with HOME--because you told su to
execute a login shell (with the " -" argument).

Mike