[mythtv-users] boosting my HD signal

Emery Guevremont emery.guevremont at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:49:35 UTC 2008

finlay wrote:
> Dan Wierenga wrote:
>
>> I finally got my antenna up on my roof, and I get a few HD stations
>> really well, and I get some pixelation on some others, and some I
>> don't get at all.  I live in Los Angeles which from other posts to the
>> list should have all the stations broadcasting from the same place,
>> Mt. Wilson.  From that I would expect to get all the channels with
>> roughly the same quality, but there is a dramatic difference between
>> the best quality channel and the worst quality channel.
>>

> You don't say how far from mt wilson you are and what type of antenna
> you have and whether you have a direct line of sight to the towers. All
> these affect antenna reception. Also multipath reflection can greatly
> affect reception of dtv. The hdtv primer site has some useful
> information on antenna installation:
>
> http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/erecting_antenna.html

I agree, distance, line of sight, multipath and transmission power are
the main factors affecting you signal reception. What's the antenna
you're using? I'm not familiar with LA channels, so which ones are you
trying to get?
>> Is there anything I can do to get my signal a bit better?  Like a
>> signal amplifier, or something?   I currently have coax cable plugged
>> straight into my antenna to my 3 televisions via a line splitter.
>> It's roughly 50 feet of coax cable from the antenna to the splitter,
>> and another 50-100 feet from the splitter to each TV.
>>

> Since you have some long cable runs and split the signal you might
> consider adding a preamp to your setup - something like the channel
> master 7777 would probably help boost the signal to overcome the cable
> and splitter losses.

Again I agree a CM-7777 placed as close to the antenna as possible will
boost your signal. From my experience, anything longer then 50' you
start to get noticeable signal lost, and splitters cause even more
signal lost. You might even need another amp for each TV since from the
splitter it looks like you have another long cable run. Just remember
that these amps also boost noise levels and boosting too much you signal
may cause distortion.