[mythtv-users] Migrating my mythtv setup to HD

Emery Guevremont emery.guevremont at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:14:18 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Emery Guevremont
> <emery.guevremont at gmail.com <mailto:emery.guevremont at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Misty P wrote:
>>     Emery Guevremont wrote:
>>
>>>     My (potentially) next purchase:
>>>     Now I've been thinking on getting an HDHomerun for capturing, but I
>>>     still need a way to view my HD recording on my TV.
>>>
>>>     My questions:
>>>     What would be the cheapest way on doing this?
>>>
>>     (imho imho imho)
>>
>>     The cheapEST way would be two HVR-950s or HVR-1250s (figure $50-65 each),
>>     plus an nvidia card that does XvMC ($30).  Assuming your machine has enough
>>     usb/pcie slots to support them, of course.
>>
>>     If that doesn't work for you, then the next cheapest route is the HVRs on
>>     the backend, plus a UPnP front end that does high def.  I bought my ZyXEL
>>     for $100 with a rebate, $150 is the regular daily price.
>>
>>     A lot of people like the HDHR, but I just don't like throwing traffic on my
>>     network that I don't believe HAS to be there.  Add in that dual hauppauges
>>     are cheaper, and the HDHR was a non-starter for me.
>>
>     That's not a bad suggestion, I hadn't thought on getting a UPNP
>     high definition player. In my case, I'd probably only get an
>     HVR-1600 since I only have PCI slots.
>

> Just be warned that not all UPnP experiences are created alike and
> many UPnP players have various issues with Myth's fairly new
> implementation of UPnP.  While those problems can be worked out, it
> may end up being a very frustrating experience compared to other
> "native" options. I would also keep an eye on the progress of HD
> playback on the AppleTV as those are very competitively priced and
> offer a native mythfrontend option.
I'm aware of the problems with UPnP. My archos is only able to see music
from Myth's UPnP, no video or pics. Last night I was reading up on the
AppleTV, definitely a nice option. I think I still need to do a lot of
reading up though. There's just so many different ways I can set this
up. You gotta love the flexibility MythTV gives you.