[mythtv-users] front end over VPN or ssh

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed May 7 17:42:49 UTC 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 9:05 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:48 AM, J <jsweepstakes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a way to add a front end over ssh, is there a way to
> cache the data in order to download it and then watch it after its
> done? [this also would be useful for wireless clients that are on a
> slower connection then the encoded rate]
> -J
>

> I'm looking for something similar to implement later this year to
> copy certain shows to a mythbox at, say, a vacation home.
> Theoretically you could use something to export the shows to an RSS
> feed and then subscribe to the feed on your remote mythbox.
> However,if I understand correctly such things are frowned upon on
> this list because a setup like this could be used for copyright
> infringement purposes. If there's a better less grey-area way to do
> this I'd love to hear about it. Maybe if the Flash player becomes
> more mature?

video2ipod will take a mythtv video, transcode it however you tell it
(default is for a high quality ipod video - I know that sounds like an
oxymoron but it rivals standard definition tv in most situations) and
will even make an rss feed of the files is transcodes for you. I use
it to mark shows I want on my ipod. I subscribe to the feed and my
iPhone is filled with video for me to watch while I'm bored at
work^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Htaking my lunch break.

-Brad