[mythtv-users] Can't playback recorded shows but preview works - SOLVED

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 8 15:17:10 UTC 2008

On 05/08/2008 05:59 AM, Misty P wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 05/07/2008 10:52 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
>>
>>> This can be solved by running the following in a terminal:
>>>     dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
>>>
>>> Set you timezone correctly and the problem is gone.  I ran into this
>>> problem because I'm using mythbuntu-diskless.  The diskless image for
>>> the fron end lacked the timezone info but the back end was correct.
>>> Since there was a time mismatch, the front end decided that
>>> recordings did not exist.
>>>
>> Heh.  That's the exact problem I'm currently working on solving (in
>> #5319), but I didn't think of it when I saw your post.  I hope in 0.22
>> we'll have it working so if you start a frontend or slave backend
>> whose time zone differs from that of the master backend, it will exit
>> with a useful error message saying that you need to fix your time zone
>> configuration.
> Playing devil's advocate, wouldn't it be more useful to spit up a box asking
> if you wanted to continue and inherit the backend's TZ, or quit?  (I'm
> thinking of a really broken distro that's on a RO filesystem, such as a
> DVD-R, that's otherwise correct.)

IMHO, no.  We don't need more "work around the user's broken
configuration" code--especially when fixing it (even if you have a
completely broken distro that doesn't allow you to fix the system
configuration) is as easy as:

TZ="America/Los_Angeles" mythfrontend

If, instead, we tell the user, "Your configuration is broken," they can
then fix it.

Mike