[mythtv-users] AM2+ motherboard with support for ECC RAM for media player / server

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu May 8 19:03:56 UTC 2008

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> SCSI does not matter anymore, in the last 3 years the SATA/IDE disk have got a
>> lot better, I think the issue is that the disk manufacturers figured out better
>> platter quality control.   I have experience with large samples of SCSI
>> (2003-800 scsi disks) and SATA disks (2000+ IDE/SATA  disks), and they both have
>> similar failures rates, if you go back to large numbers of IDE/SCSI disks in the
>> 2000-2004 range this was not the case and the SATA disks were utter crap were
>> you could expect 10-20% failures in the first 6 months, and the SCSI/FC disks
>> had very low failure rates.
>
> from what I understood, drive manufacturers stopped making SCSI
> specific drives when SATA came about. The only difference between the
> drives being the interface electronics. I believe most models were no
> longer SCSI specific long before, but it took them a bit longer to do
> it with "enterprise" versions of the drives.

I don't think that was completely true.  The did not come out with SCSI drives
as big of capacity as SATA until about a year or so ago.  SCSI max was 300GB,
and SATA max (at the same time) was 400-500 GB.   It looked like they were using
the previous generations of SATA proven platters for the (10k, 15k) SCSI disks
until they came out with the recent 7200 RPM large capacity SCSI drives.

And yes, the enterprise disks aren't very different from the non-enterprise
drives (at least one of the manufacture's claim that the firmware is slightly
different).   I was involved with a RMA for 624 enterprise class drives that
were failing at an excessive rate and we had graphs that showed that the failure
rate was increasing at quite a fast rate.  After replacing the drives with the
new next generation model the failures went away and did not show back up.