[mythtv-users] AM2+ motherboard with support for ECC RAM for media player / server

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri May 9 04:29:59 UTC 2008

Bob wrote:
> Roger Heflin wrote:
>> Bob wrote:

>>> That's interesting to have some real world figures, thank you.

>>> What do you use to monitor the errors?
>>>
>> On AMD boards a program called mcelog (you will have to put it in cron) will
>> work-most soft MCE errors are ECC errors either in the CPU or in memory, also
>> something in the kernel (may require an extra module in some distribtions)
>> called edac will also work.   The edac thing will also work on *SELECT* intel
>> boards, mostly on the intel side only the higher end (dual socket server boards)
>> are supported, on AMD because the ECC is in the CPU itself it is pretty much
>> supported everywhere if the MB will take ECC ram.
>>

> But those are quite rare on consumer side of things, when I get these
> boards setup I'll look into mcelog vs edac, it looks like edac is in
> lenny but not etch.
> http://packages.debian.org/edac-utils

>>> This is exactly the reason I'm after an AM2+ MotherBoard that supports
>>> it, I like these 2 boards [4] but I've had bad experiences with both
>>> abit [0] and asus [1] in the past in both cases not actually their fault
>>> but once bitten.. the only downside is the lack of FireWire which as Ron
>>> on debian-users points out that can be fixed with a PCI card, the only
>>> problem with that is these mATX are quite short on space and I'll
>>> probably put a DVB-C card in.
>>>
>> In the order of the vendors, Supermicro's quality is on average better than any
>> of the other MB only vendors.
>>

> Intel only though.

I forgot that since I have used a number of Supermicro AMD server boards, Intel
only unless you are a VAR.   They do have AMD boards for VAR's, just not for
consumers, and the lowest board is a low-end server board.

See: http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/

The closest they have use an Opteron 1000 and costs $260, it does have 6 sata
ports, 2 gbit lans, and  some higher end pcie ports (x16,x8,x4), but no DVI or
HDMI even on the more expensive MB with video on it.

> I hear you, one thing that saddened me was ULi being swallowed by
> nVidia, they were coming out with some pretty innovative stuff, Oh well,
> it can join 3dfx, S3 graphics and lodes of others on the wasted
> potential and shattered dreams pile.
>
> I'd actually like to get a system with one of the Loongson / Godson 3
> chips when they come out, assuming they're available in a more capable
> all round package than the Godson2 stuff was.

Not sure I would touch a via again, I just figured out that my machine (with a
via chipset) became unstable when I started using both of the via sata ports, it
had been previously stable without them, using the via ports made the raid about
2x faster but prone to crashing the machine, and causing a number of other bad
behaviors.

                              Roger