[mythtv-users] HD Architecture Solution

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri May 9 14:43:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Bryce Ostenson <bostenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on my upgrade to HD and have found that selecting the right
> technologies to be pretty complex.  I think I've got a good grasp on things
> but wanted to run my findings/thinking by people more knowledgeable than
> myself.
>
> What I have now:
> * A working SD mythTV system (quite happy with it really)
> * Enough CPU, hard disk, and memory to do HD (but not capture/video card)
> * Combined frontend/backend, and a remote frontend that we can ignore for
> now.
> * And I've added a Philips 42" LCD 1080p (Specs states it has QAM tuner, no
> DVI, no VGA/D-Sub).
> * Comcast HD (no HBO/Showtime/etc)
> * A Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250hdc STB
>
> My goal:
> * Minimal cost, including both monthly costs and up-front costs.
> * Single HD tuner is ok, more are better of course!  Would like to keep my
> analog PVR-150 operational as a fall-back tuner.
> * Keep it simple - I've spent a lot of time getting my mythTV going so far
> and prefer to stick with good, known solutions.
> * Would like to be able to record all/most of my HD content from Comcast
> (again, no HBO, Showtime, etc).
>
> -- Model 1: Comcast > mythTV > TV (NO STB)
>
> This is my preferred model.
>
> Problem: QAM from Comcast in 55401 seems isolated to local channels.  My
> Philips TV wasn't able to decode any of the other HD content (or so it
> seemed).  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this means that I
> won't be able to use an HDHomerun or other HD tuner cards to decode SciFiHD
> and other non-local but non-premium channels.  I think this rules out this
> model.
>
> Advantages: Simple.  Would probably use an HDHomeRun and get an upgraded
> video card that supports HDMI, DVI or component out.

Your assumptions here are correct (this is how I do things but then I don't
have a premium HD package to worry about)

>  -- Model 2: Comcast > STB > mythTV > TV
>
> Advantages: Should be able to capture most anything.  Would that include
> premium channels (HBO)?
>
> Disadvantages: IR Blaster?  Potential quality loss from component HD
> capture?  More complex installation?
>
> Unknowns: Can I even capture digitally from the firewire port on the
> 4250hdc?  Initial searching doesn't look good.
>
> Hardware must be able to work via LAN (e.g. HDHomerun), a PCI slot (open),
> a PCIe x16 slot (in use by my video card), or USB.  I haven't investigated
> this.

Currently this would be an analog SD capture of your STB output via
s-video.  If you wait a month, Hauppauge is releasing a component capture
that will do HD H.264 capturing of component output from your STB but you
will have to wait additional time for Linux drivers to be available unless
they will be available at ship time (wink, wink).   I would do this with
your setup.

Kevin