[mythtv-users] OT: ATSC/QAM Encode to distribute HD over longer runs.

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Fri May 9 22:14:26 UTC 2008

Roger Heflin wrote:
> Has anyone ever figured out if it is against FCC regulations to make one of
> these devices?    I know I talked to the PCHDTV card designer, and he though it
> was against the FCC rules, if it was not against the rules it should not be that
> hard to make one, since once you have the proper MPEG stream built, the RF part
> should be pretty easy and cheap.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
#include <ianal.h>

As long as it complies with Part 15, an unlicensed low-power ATSC transmitter
should be no less legal than an unlicensed low-power analog-TV transmitter, FM
transmitter, etc.

Computers and video-game systems used to provide RF output all the time to hook
into TVs that only had RF input; these are basically analog TV transmitters
with just enough output power to work over a wired connection.  With a bit more
power, you can go wireless as long as it doesn't interfere with someone else's
TV reception.

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us