[mythtv-users] Not Recording to Second Storage Group

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 10 19:27:55 UTC 2008

On 05/10/2008 02:34 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> I thought you were running into a bug I'd recently noticed (but
> haven't checked SVN to see if it's there yet). I had two directories
> (call them dir1 and dir2) on my slave backend that, with a third
> directory on another server, comprise my Default storage group. When I
> manually moved all the recordings from dir1 to dir2 for miscellaneous
> reasons, I noticed that MythTV would *not* record to the now-empty
> directory (except nfslockfile.lock) until I primed it, if you will, by
> moving some recordings back to it.

You sure it wasn't just a "same-filesystem" false positive?  I.e. if you
have 2 directories existing on 2 filesystems whose total size, available
space, and free space are substantially identical (i.e. normally if you
have 2 identical empty drives, but can happen in other situations), Myth
will think they're the same filesystem.  This could affect its decision
to record to that directory, and simply copying a file (or "dd
if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/directory/garbage_file-delete_me bs=4M
count=100" (or similar)) would make their free space/available space
differ enough that Myth could tell them apart.

BTW, nfslockfile.lock is completely useless (and unused by MythTV) in
0.21 and above, so you might as well delete them from all your storage
directories.

Mike