[mythtv-users] URGENT HELP!!! Where does mythtv-setup put the backup after a schema update?

Michael Jones michael at michaelandholly.com
Sun May 11 02:47:33 UTC 2008

On May 10, 2008, at 7:40 PM, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Michael Jones
> <michael at michaelandholly.com> wrote:
>> I REALLY need some help here.. I screwed up big time!   My mythtv
>> system is a part of my family's entertainment system and the Wife,
>> 6yr
>> old and 2yr old (mostly wife) will be pretty tweaked at me if I loose
>> ALL of the kids recordings.  *insert groveling here*
>>

>> A friend of mine is playing with mythtv and he wanted to see if his
>> laptop frontend could connect to my new .21 backend.  *Ok.. I know..
>> BAD visuals here. * I set him up at a desk, and walked away.
>>
>> While I was away, he ran "mythtv-setup" from his machine, and
>> thinking
>> that the program was updating his database, not mine, he selected yes
>> when it asked him to update the database schema. Now.. this would not
>> normally be much of an issue.  However, in this case he's using a
>> custom-compiled from SVN setup, and mine's from the latest binaries
>> through YUM.
>>
>> Now.. if I start mythbackend it reports that the database schema is
>> newer and cannot be used.
>>
>> I know, from when I did it myself that mythtv-setup *says* it's doing
>> a backup and if it fails the old one is stored somewhere.
>>
>> The question is WHERE Is it stored?  and HOW do I get it back?  Is it
>> just a full copy of the mysql/mythconverg folders?  a dump file?
>> etc.
>>
>> Am I screwed here?  Or can I recover from this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> The Jones Family
>
> I have no indepth response, but I'll let you know right away that
> running mythtv-setup should not delete the actual recordings... you
> may however lose the entries to those those recordings in the
> database... so you may want to copy those recordings if you have space
> enough to do so. If you can't repopulate the database, you should be
> able to play the recordings directly (sans mythtv)

Thanks for the quick response..  but, been there, done that.

Fortunately the data/recordings are still there, the database is the
only thing that's fubar'd.   However.. I can't use the system without
the database.. and I'd rather not clear it and start from scratch as
that's more work than I need right now.   I can probably restore from
last week's backup.. but that's still a pain.   I'd like to be able to
locate the backup that was made when the schema-update happened at
about 1:00 this afternoon..

Thanks again,