[mythtv-users] URGENT HELP!!! Where does mythtv-setup put the backup after a schema update? SOLVED?

Michael Jones michael at michaelandholly.com
Sun May 11 05:15:21 UTC 2008

On May 10, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Michael Jones wrote:

> On May 10, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Michael Jones wrote:

>>> (specifically, a directory in a "DB Backups" storage group)

>>> If you have were running 0.21-fixes and had multiple directories in
>>> your
>>> Default storage group, the backup could be in any of them.
>>>
>>> Note, though, that since mythtv-setup was run on your friend's
>>> system,
>>> it would have been the one that tried to write the backup to the
>>> directory specified in the (Default or DB Backups) storage group.
>>> If
>>> that directory(ies) doesn't exist on his system, mythtv-setup would
>>> have
>>> written the backup to /tmp .  So, make sure you talk to your friend
>>> soon
>>> (i.e. before he shuts down his system if he has a "cleanup /tmp
>>> directory" init script like many systems do)

>>> See, also, http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 .
>>> Those
>>> instruction apply for restoring the backup.  The only difference is
>>> you
>>> may have to uncompress the backup first (i.e. gunzip
>>> /path/to/backup_file.gz ).
>>>
>>> Mike
>>

>> Ok.. So it seems that he has shut his system down since he left here,
>> the /tmp, /mythtv and any other recordings locations are completely
>> empty..
>>
>> It seems that either.. his system never did make a backup.. or the
>> backup has been lost (or we just can't find it)..
>>
>> He's on the 1220 version of the schema.   Is there ANY way to adjust
>> the database schema on my system manualy (I'm pretty mysql adept.. so
>> structural changes aren't too difficult) so the existing database
>> will
>> work?
>>
>> Isn't there a "database_schema_version" field or something in the
>> settings table that the backend looks at?
>>

>> Thanks guys,
>>
>> Waiting with baited breath...
>>
>> Michael

Well.. I may have figured out a solution:

I manually changed the mythconverg>settings>DBSchemaVer from 1220 to
1214

Before, mythbackend would fail to start, this time it started up as if
it was running normally.  I ran mythtv-setup, everything seemed Ok.. I
ran the mythtv-setup on the slave frontend, everything seemed Ok. I
started the frontend.. everything SEEMS fine..

This SEEMS to work, but I'm a little nervous.   What are the
ramifications of doing this?   What actually gets changed when
updating to schema version 1220?

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the fast responses to my plea! :-)

- Michael