[mythtv-users] Prebuffering Pause despite very little resource use?

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Sun May 11 16:20:52 UTC 2008

Jason Keirstead wrote:
> I have a fairly beefy machine ( Dual core Athlon 64 6400+ ). My video card
> is a GeForce 8400 GS and I am using the GLX binary drivers.
>
> When playing HD 1080i MPEG2 content (source is DVB), it is only using 10%
> Cpu. However, I am getting stuttering, with the dreaded "prebuffering pause"
> message.
>
> All storage is local, I have 2 GB memory, plenty of free CPU - why is this
> message happening? How can I fix it?
>
> I have tried every deinterlacer / decoding combination I can find, with no
> help. Even disabling deinterlacing does not help.

Jason,

Does it only suffer with 1080? Can you try playing back some of the
recorded files with mplayer, xine, vlc, etc. to see if they stutter as
well? Can you check if direct rendering is working (glxinfo), and Xv
(xvinfo)? Also, you may know this already, having tried all the
different decoders, but to rule one possibility out, beware that the
8xxx and newer series GeForce are not supported by XvMC hardware-assist.

Cheers,
Jesse Burt