[mythtv-users] myth and unicode..

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 11 16:46:44 UTC 2008

On 05/11/2008 09:33 AM, Damian O'Sullivan wrote:
> I have some avis in mythvideo that have accentuated chars in them. I
> have a script that adds the plot etc to them. Thing is they appear in
> mythvideo without this data and coverfile but appear in mythweb fine.
> The database entry in the DB looks fine too. Is there a known problem
> that cases this?
>
> eg :
> mysql> select filename,title from videometadata where filename like
> '/TV%Shark%Season 1%Again.avi';
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
>
> | filename                                                     | title |
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
>
> | /TVSeries/Shark/Season 1/1x07 - Déjà Vu All Over Again.avi | 07 -
> Déjà Vu All Over Again |
>
> 1 row in set (0.01 sec)
>

> The filename appears in the title in mythvideo. Looks like mythvideo
> cannot parse any further when it hits the filename.

All characters in the 0.21 and below MythTV database /must/ be encoded
as latin1.  That means that special characters need to be written as
multiple latin1 characters such that when "unencoded" by MythTV, they
will turn into the proper (non-latin1) characters.  Putting utf8 (or
whatever your script is putting into the DB) breaks the data.

Mike