[mythtv-users] URGENT HELP!!! Where does mythtv-setup put the backup after a schema update? SOLVED?

Michael Jones michael at michaelandholly.com
Mon May 12 20:41:11 UTC 2008

On May 11, 2008, at 4:21 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 05/11/2008 01:15 AM, Michael Jones wrote:
>> Well.. I may have figured out a solution:
>>
>> I manually changed the mythconverg>settings>DBSchemaVer from 1220 to
>> 1214
>>
>> Before, mythbackend would fail to start, this time it started up as
>> if
>> it was running normally.  I ran mythtv-setup, everything seemed
>> Ok.. I
>> ran the mythtv-setup on the slave frontend, everything seemed Ok. I
>> started the frontend.. everything SEEMS fine..
>>
>> This SEEMS to work, but I'm a little nervous.   What are the
>> ramifications of doing this?   What actually gets changed when
>> updating to schema version 1220?
>
> Pretty much the entire database got modified in some ways.  The
> character set conversion is a big, virtually undo-able change.  Go
> with
> the week-old backup.  If you don't, you /will/ have issues in the
> future--even when doing the upgrade from your current (now corrupt)
> database to the one required for 0.22.  Even if you were to change the
> DBSchemaVer back to 1220 before upgrading to 0.22, your current MythTV
> is writing 0.21 information to the DB and ignoring all the 0.22
> fields, etc.
>
> And, you may want to set up a more-frequent backup.  I wrote a script
> (that should become a part of MythTV 0.22) that you can use for this.
> It determines the database information and pretty much everything else
> you need to make a backup.  Use --help to find out how to use it.
> There's also a restore companion script (which you can use to restore
> the week-old backup).
>
> See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/332734#332734
> for
> links to the scripts.  Note, also, that there's no reason you need
> to do
> the "spring-cleaning" (i.e. just restore your week old backup and
> you're
> good to go).  You can import the recordings that occurred in the last
> week with myth.rebuild_database.pl and use myth.find_orphans.pl to
> identify "unidentified" files in the recordings directories (or just
> stick the unidentified recordings into MythVideo, watch them there and
> delete them, and let Myth re-record them on re-run.  Though this may
> seem like a lot of work, it's a /much/ better solution.
>
> Mike

Thanks for all the help.. I took the advice to go back to last week's
backup.  I also (thanks Marc for the backup script) am backing up the
database daily to cycle weekly.

The lesson learned here.. Don't let anyone from the outside mess with
your production system..   :-)

I just finished tweaking a few things this morning and the system is
back up and running.

Thanks again,

- Michael