[mythtv-users] SD material on HD display - Scaling Issues

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon May 12 21:38:08 UTC 2008

On 5/12/08, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> At the moment most of my TV content is SD. My mythfrontend is attached to
> a HDTV, but is not at a 1:1 pixel ratio (i.e. the picture gets a little
> up/down scaling inside the TV, nothing I can do about it unless I get a new
> TV, or the UK suddenly switches to 60Hz video). If I compare the video
> quality between my sky digibox (which is just over scart) vs. my mythbox
> over DVI (1280x720), the picture is much sharper on the digibox. Obviously
> HD material (BBC-HD) looks awesome.
>
> Now I think this is because my tv (LG 37LP1D) is doing a good job of
> upscaling the sky input. The thing is some of the other family members won't
> be happy with mythtv's output until the perceivable quality is the same. (if
> you get close to the screen, mythtv's output has much less artiefacts than
> from the digibox, but alas you can't really notice them if your on the
> couch, unlike the blurryness).
>
> So, other than buying a new TV (which is not out of the question, but
> would need to support 50Hz, 1:1 pixel mapping, at HD and SD resolutions),
> are there any options I have for improving picture quality. Are there any
> filters that exist (lanczos comes to mind)?

Are you able to connect with a VGA to your television?  I'm driving 2
different 720p screens (one a plasma the other LCD) via VGA - and the
picture quality is much better with Myth than the Sky digibox.  In fact my
wife was commenting the other day that we almost don't need HD - since the
picture quality we have is so surprisingly good.

My feed is DVB-S captured directly by Myth (ie no converter box).

I've tried to get DVI and HDMI working a few times, and have never managed
to get as good a picture quality as with VGA.