[mythtv-users] SD material on HD display - Scaling Issues

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Tue May 13 00:37:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:53 AM, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Yes I can drive it by VGA. Seems odd that VGA would be better than DVI
> though, (as DVI is like the digital form of VGA). Does your TV do any
> scaling on the picture?
>
> I'm also grabbing DVB-S directly, but my TV just won't allow 1:1 pixel
> mapping at 50Hz (I have no idea why it does at 60 and not at 50, did
> somebody forget Europe?).
>
> I'll try it tomorrow...

In the AU I had to:
-use YADIF interlacer in 2x mode
-make sure my refresh was just above 60hz (like 60.5 or so)
-turn OFF vsync!!!!  (this was the killer)

Turning off vsync make the video very smooth and got rid of the jerkiness.
Theoretically there should be some tearing at some point but I've never once
seen any.