[mythtv-users] Yes, it's overkill, but here is the list for my new machine in planning...

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Tue May 13 09:30:45 UTC 2008

Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 19:39:19 -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> -Seagate SV35.2 ST3500630SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
>
> In the subject, you wrote above overkill. So I think that you should
> think again about the size. 750 and 1000 GB drives are cheap today.

True, but that was referring more to the processor/video card power.

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to drive space,
especially with digital SD/HD recording.  :-)

>> -EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ8080S 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
>
> AFAIK Excelstor is cheap Chinese crap. I'd go for a hard disk from a
> more serious brand (Seagate, WD, Samsung, or just put everything on one
> hard disk (but on separate partitions. Makes your system cheaper, more
> silent and energy efficient.

Noted.

However, I don't feel that the smaller cost of using a single drive for
the OS and storage is worth the hassle and potential fights between the
two parts of the machine over a single spindle.

So, the seagate and Excelstore drives are gone, now replaced with WD's,
one 'green power' and one caviar SE.

As much as I'd like to get a TB drive, most of the budget has been used
with the chip and motherboard.