[mythtv-users] Program I thought should be recorded wasn't... [Understood...]

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 13 13:31:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Clay <nt4usb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  > >
>  >  > > >    Is there a way to see both what recordings
>  >  > users ask to be recorded
>  >  > >  > but also see which ones are taken off the list?
>  <SNIP>
>

>  >  Arrow down to it and type 'u' should give program
>  >  details. Type 'o' to see upcoming episodes.
>  >  fwiw, series I want to record I set up to record at
>  >  any time on any channel. Surprising how many repeat on
>  >  some obscure channel... Myth does a pretty good job of
>  >  not recording the same show twice and if it does, the
>  >  delete key is always close at hand.
>  >

>  Yes, what you are explaining I basically understand. I don't think
>  it's what I'm asking about however.
>
>  In my case I had programmed a show Saturday afternoon to be recorded
>  on Sunday morning. It was on the list to be recorded and is still
>  (unfortunately) on the list to be recorded. There was (presumably) a
>  tuner available since the system has two tuners and only one was in
>  use at 8AM. The listing said the program was on at 8AM, and it was.
>  The tuner was available. So why didn't the program record?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Mark

OK, here's what was going on. Don't ask me....

In the area I live in Comcast is going through a rebuild of the cable
system and switching to fiber. This means they move around channels
and I have to go to Schedules Direct and change line-ups once in
awhile. One of those events happened over the weekened. This is not
the first time this has happened and it it didn't even strike me as
important. I add a new line up, delete my cards, and then create new
cards attached to the new line-up. Done it before.

This week it seems that Myth decided to do something new to us.
Starting Saturday it began making new recordings every hour on the new
SciFi channel. (73) Myth took a tuner and dedicated it to recording
channel 73 every hour. I assume it was myth since the files in the
video directory were all owned by myth. It wasn't one long recording -
it was numerous 1 hour recordings.

Thing is that NONE of these recordings showed up in mythfrontend. My
wife noticed late last night that with only 12 programs recorded we
were out of disk space. I stopped Myth this morning, removed all these
recordings, and then rebooted. So far Myth hasn't started recording
channel 73 again but maybe it will at the top of the hour. If not it
seems that at least I understand what was causing the system to only
record on program on our list - the other tuner was busy recording
everything you ever wanted to watch on SciFi!

- Mark