[mythtv-users] migrate slave backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 14 04:40:34 UTC 2008

On 05/14/2008 12:14 AM, Chuck Peters wrote:
> I have a bunch of recording on the slave and the recorded table of the
> database has a hostname for each of these recordings.  So one would
> think that changing the hostname for each of these might be a good
> idea.  However now that we have storage groups and the fact that myth
> will search for a recording among those specified directories, I don't
> think the hostname matters that much.  Am I correct in this?
>
> So all I think I really need to do is move the tuner, video card and
> hard drive from the old slave to the new one and setup a myth slave as
> usual.
>
> Am I missing anything else?

If you have all your recordings directories exported and mounted on all
backends, you don't need to change the hostname.  If each host has it's
own separate local directories, you'll need to change the hostname.

See, also, http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.15 .  (May
or may not apply, depending on whether you're changing the hostname of
that slave or "decomissioning" that slave.  Note, also, that if you're
just replacing the slave with a different one, you'll want to "Delete
all capture cards on <hostname>" /before/ you get rid of the old slave
(otherwise, your only option will be "Delete all capture cards" (on all
hosts) and re-configure them all).)

Mike