[mythtv-users] What graphics card?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed May 14 20:31:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Sarah Katherine Hayes <
sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> Considering the threads about XvMC, HD in all it's wonderous and bizare
> formats, I was wondering which graphics chipset should someone be aiming
> for if they wanted (eventually) full GPU acceleration?  So h264, mpeg2,
> DivX and so on.
>

> I'm guessing Nvidia is, at the moment out with the lack of PureVideo in
> their Linux drivers... but I know nothing of the new RadeonHD drivers or
> Intel's latest offerings.
>
> So, what would people recommend for current and future capabilities?

Current: Nvidia, hands down
Future: I would take a serious look at Intel.  They've recently supported
XvMC across their chipsets

My gut tells me that Intel will have H.264 support on Linux before Nvidia or
ATI since ATI can't even get XvMC support and Nvidia seems to consider Linux
an afterthought much of the time.

Kevin