[mythtv-users] Aspect Ratio - Composite Input to WS TV?

Patrick Nichols lists at panic.id.au
Wed May 14 22:42:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 8:25 am, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> Don't ask why :) but I'm recording HD Widescreen & 4:3 shows and playing
> them back via composite input to a Widescreen plasma. The best (and
> default) display I can get is 1024x768 over my NVidia 7200GS

You would be better off to use svideo if it is available.  (And with my
nvidia card and PAL output, that means a 720x576 native resolution.  The
card scales all other 4:3 resolutions to this on output.)

> Is there anyway to tell myth that the output device is 16:9 despite
> having a 4:3 pixel ratio?

There are two ways to do this.  Both involve the "Monitor" section of your
xorg.conf

One way is to set the displaysize option after measuring your screen.  The
second way is to set the DPI of the monitor.  I prefer the DPI way.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "TV"
        # DisplaySize     1024 576
        Option    "UseEdidDpi"  "FALSE"