[mythtv-users] MythTV and the "average" user...

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu May 15 15:48:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 09:36:02AM -0500, Andrew Close wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My mother is in the process of recovering from some major surgery.
> > This means two things, I expect to be going to see her in the not too
> > distant future and and am thinking "is it time to pull together a
> > MythTV box for her?".
> >
> > My mother is a retired high school home economics teacher, so, no
> > dummy, but on the other hand, limited computer skills (well, limited
> > technical skills in general, programming the VCR is something she
> > finds frustrating). So, the question is has MythTV with say Mythbuntu
> > reached the point where once set-up a "average" person could run the
> > machine? Basicly I want something that will make life easier for her,
> > not frustrate her...
> >
> > Thoughts? Feedback?
>
> if 'you' are fairly Linux savvy and can get everything tweaked for her
> i don't think she'd have a problem.  i wouldn't say i'm that Linux
> savvy so my box isn't set up perfectly, but my wife is able to use it
> without getting frustrated; and she's no techie. :)
> as long as you show her how to set up recording schedules she should
> be fine.  Myth is 'almost' easier to use than a VCR.

    Keep in mind that PVRs in general are a little advanced. You may
find that she would be overwhelmed even with a Tivo. My inlaws have
a DirecTV PVR and it gets very little use probably due to this very
thing. I have always done the "Tivo maintenance" when it comes to PVRs
in my household. Even wishlists and such might seem daunting to some
people.

    MythTV can certainly be setup so that it can be trouble free from
the "maintaining a Linux box" perspective. Just make sure the server
will restart itself if need be and there is a panic button on the remote
so that your mother can restart the frontend if there's some problem.