[mythtv-users] motion blur with Bob, XvMC (nvidia) on 1080i content run at 576i

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Thu May 15 21:44:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Misty P <mistyp at thekorn.net> wrote:
> David Schlenk wrote:
>>> Not in front of a machine right now, so not sure if nvidia-settings
>>> would do it.
>>>
>>> I'd look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log , looking for EDID information.
>>> (hopefully your television is sending an EDID!)
>>>
>> This is all I get from the nvidia driver in the Xorg log:
>
> (snip)
>
> Sorry, didn't realize you were using the TV-out; made the assumption you
> were running a VGA or DVI cable.  (don't know *why* I assumed that, just
> did.)  You won't get any EDID information via the tv-out.
>
> For the tv-out, nvidia cards seem to offer only the classic 4:3 modes (at
> least with an s-video cable, not sure about component)... 1024x768, 800x600,
> 640x480, and after that who cares.
>

> You should read this document; it has all the nitty gritty, direct from
> nvidia:
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-h.html
>

> But back to your question as to what modes will work with your TV, I see no
> other option than to simply try a few and see what works.  (Might want to
> switch your TV standard from HD576i to either HD780p or HD780i , btw.)
>

> I'd also **highly** recommended that you install SSH before mucking about,
> so that you can get in and change things if you're "blind".  That way if
> something doesn't work, you can change it back.  (Also backup your good
> xorg.conf file before messing with it!)

I've tried them all, and unfortunately none of the progressive ones
seem to work except 480 but then I get a so-small-its-silly virtual
resolution, and 1080i makes the baby jesus cry (apparently the 6200 is
bad at doing that non-fuzzy and my tv squishes it to fit 4:3 in any
event...  but maybe the DPI trick in reverse would fix that?). AFAIK
720i doesn't exist according to the doc.

The closest I got to a successful setup was forcing 1920x1080 using
HD1080i. No deinterlacing problems, but the screen was fuzzy and it
was squished.

Sounds like I need a new TV. ;)

I'll give HD576i with a forced 720x576 virt. res. and also 704x576 (is
that the 4:3 equiv?) but would any of those solve it? What refresh
rate is nvidia sending through component? Right now I'm not specifying
HorizSync or VertRefresh because I have no idea what the right values
are for my TV. Should I try 30-50/60? Could it hurt the TV?