[mythtv-users] Can't play DVD's any more

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri May 16 17:39:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
wrote:

> Recently I've discovered that playing a DVD results in a multitude of
> bad things happening depending on the DVD.
>
> 30 Rock Season 1 box set - first DVD works ok. Second one, I can't see
> the main menu of the episode menu. I can select, but can't see what's
> happening. Third disc doesn't play at all.
> My son just bought me Serial Mom. I can't get ANY player to watch a
> ripped ISO of it. mplayer and internal player bail out due to end of
> file almost immediately. xine won't even try to play it at all.
> Some older DVD's work ok, but the menu is ALWAYS messed up in some way.
> This used to work so well in 0.20. Now I cringe every time someone
> says, "Let's watch a movie!" not knowing how many hours of frustration
> will follow trying to get the thing to play.

Open tickets in Trac (http://svn.mythtv.org) for specific movies/discs that
always exhibit the same behavior.  The maintainer of the player is very good
about getting specific movies from his personal Netflix account to test.
But before you do this, I would recommend that you do at least a minimal
test with another DVD drive.  I had similar issues and then I changed to a
more "mainstream" brand from an older computer (Samsung drive in this case
vs. a no-name) and I have very few issues now.  This would be especially
true if you're having problems with discs playing back in mplayer or xine
which I've found to be pretty much solid for DVD playback where the Internal
player sometimes has issues.

Kevin