[mythtv-users] What happened?

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sun May 18 22:21:07 UTC 2008

Brett Williams wrote:
> I've done my time in Tech Support to know that most things stop working
> because something has changed.  With that said, I didn't change a thing!!!
>
> Everything on my system was working perfectly.  However the other night I
> got done watching a recorded TV program and after I deleted my entire list
> of recordings disappeared.  Yeah, I freaked!  Based on my available drive
> space, I don't believe they got deleted.  So, let me tell you what else I
> found wrong...
>
> I went to watch live TV... When I select it from the menu the screen goes
> black and then comes back to the menu...  I checked all my recording
> schedules and they are all still in place, but since this happened nothing
> has been recorded...
>
> I have stopped and started MythTV several times with no change, and rebooted
> a couple of times without change...  Everything else works fine.  Music is
> fine, Videos are fine, Images are fine...  Everything but Live TV and my
> recordings...
>
> Any ideas?

If you have not rebooted yet, check dmesg and see if there are any hard errors
from the underlying recorders.   I have previously had a hardware issue that
caused the underlying recorder(s) to "lock-up" and this resulted in nothing
being recorded on that recorder, and myth got *NO* errors at all, when directly
connecting to the /dev device for the recording that also got no errors, but did
not get any video stream either.

I would also check system status -> tuners and make sure myth is seeing
everything is should and that it thinks everything is ok.

                             Roger