[mythtv-users] Two commercial flagging errors on BSG last Friday

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon May 19 15:10:06 UTC 2008

Howdy all,

Overall commercial flagging works quite well - I believe that I have
my commercial flagging set for strict, using all detection methods.
So I was pretty surprised when it made two mistakes last Friday on
Battlestar Galatica.  Not a huge deal, and didn't seem to bother the
wife too much, but it for sure convinced me that I don't want to
auto-transcode to remove commercials like I was considering.  There
were actually two different types of errors:

a) Right in the middle of the show, it properly skipped a commercial,
plus an extra period of time after the commercial ended.  I jumped
back and noticed there was definitely a "TV14" logo on the screen at
the point where commflag should have detected the end of the
commercial, but apparently didn't.

b) Right before the show ended, it "detected" a commercial when there
wasn't one (I have the commercial notification pop-up turned on).
There was definitely a major transition in the scene, but it wasn't
time to go to commercial.

A couple of questions:

1. Has there been any interest on the part of the developers (or
anyone else) to improve commflagging?  If so, I'd be willing to get
this recording to someone somehow.
2. Is it better to use only certain detection methods rather than all
of them?  Are there ones that are better to avoid?

Thanks,

   Marc (running 0.21)