[mythtv-users] Myth broken and Ubuntu Nvidia Driver hell

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon May 19 16:58:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 12:03 +0100, Damian wrote:
> One of the most successful 'fixes' for this driver problem has been to
> install the 173.08 nvidia driver. Unfortunately, on my system, when I do
> that, I still get glorious 800x600, but now, when I try to run
> Mythfrontend I get a message informing me that the OpenGL only works
> with CPU's that have SSE.
>
> I currently have a 1.2 gig athlon in an Abit Kt7 motherboard. Can anyone
> suggest an economical replacement?

nVidia dropped support for legacy CPUs starting with the 169.07 drivers.
You need to use drivers prior to that.

Also, I'm not sure that Ubuntu 804 is really the best operating system
for this PC. If I were in your shoes, I would stick with Ubuntu 6.06.2
LTS and only update the pieces that need updating.

-- Daniel