[mythtv-users] DVI or RGB

JS Boyd mythtv at futures.com
Mon May 19 20:57:03 UTC 2008

Brett Williams wrote:
> I am using a Vizio VP50 Plasma TV with my MythTV.  I have the option
> of going DVI to HDMI or out the 15pin monitor cable on the computer to
> the 15pin RGB plug on the TV.  I have been using the RGB connection
> and have had great quality on it, but in the back of my head I am
> thinking I may get a better picture using the DVI/HDMI connection.
>
> What would you do?  Is one that much better than the other?
DVI is best when the screen displays the exact resolution of the
program. So for 1920x1080 (1080i or p) content recorded digitally you
will see exactly what was recorded without any scaling. However, the
VP50 is a 1366 x 768 set, so the TV is going to have scale whatever
video stream to it. This tends to "soften" all content shown versus sets
that support native 1080i, 1080p and 720p native resolutions.

I have hooked up a VP50 to use  RGB, but  have not bothered to try DVI.
RGB looks quite nice.

If you use DVI you should use the video standard 1080i, 720p, and 480p
signals. (In fact, the TV may complain if you use anything else.)  This
will force the TV to use its internal scaler. If you use  RGB  you can
treat the TV as a 1366x768 display and use Myth and your video card to
do the scaling.

> --
> Brett M. Williams

==
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04
MythTV SVN version below
AMD 64 x2 4200+ 65W Energy Efficient Processor
Abit NF-N2 nView Motherboard
NVidia 6150 video VGA/DVI
PVR-500 (Phillips Chipset)
 IVTV 0.10.4
HDHomerun /sys/version 20071120
1GB RAM
2- 500GB Seagate SATA: ST3500641AS
SONY DVD RW AW-G170A
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 16312M
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Library API      : 0.21.20080224-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend using_dbox2 using_directfb using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_opengl_vsync using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live