[mythtv-users] ITV HD and Freesat

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:25:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Robert <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 7:35 pm, Charles Mason wrote:
>
>> Doing a quick google for H.222 and FFMPEG (the lib MythTV uses) there
>> are some references to it. So I was wondering if it is possible to
>> view the ITV HD test transmission with MythTV. I currently don't have
>> a Myth TV DVB-S system yet although I am thinking of adding DVB-S to
>> my Myth TV box. Two HD channels would be a big incentive in addition
>> to Freeview (UK DVB-T), which is all my backend currently has access
>> to. Has anyone else tried to access ITV HD via MythTV.
>

> So if I could at least get an entry in Myth for the channels then it could
> probably be recorded, but playback might be more of a challenge!  I've
> still got the file, so I might try playing it via Mythvideo tonight using
> the internal player and see what it has to say, because if that will play
> it then it will be worth perservering with the channel scanner.

It sounds like theres some hope then. I am sure MythTV will be updated
to support the needed formats if ITV HD is popular. Its not like we
are limited to what we can decode by our setup, like the Sky set top
box customers. It just goes to show why Myth TV is a better if more
complex and expensive solution, in hardware costs at least.

Charlie M