[mythtv-users] Intel Atom...Myth worthy?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:36:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I saw an article today about Atom motherboards and saw this as an
> example:
>

> http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8602751&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8602751
>
> With the Intel chipset and Intel's support for XvMC across their product
> line, does this make a worthy option for a frontend now?

I saw that as well and did some Googling for performance benchmarks. I found
this random note:

"Now, Intel demonstrated the 1.6GHz model, Z530, running CINEBENCH 9.5 with
and without hyper-threading enabled. The non-HT CPU returned a benchmark
score of 103, and the HT-enabled model one of 158, as shown above. Putting
that into some kind of context, an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ benchmarks at 256,
and, on the other end of the scale, an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 at 1,327
marks, in a test which is heavily compute-intensive."
- From
http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&forum=101&threadid=1671819&pagenumber=1&msgcount=7&subpage=1&product_id=30092

Some anecdotal comments put it in the realm of the PIII for CPU power, which
I think would be too slow for an HD FE. Engadget tells me that there will be
a dual-core version of this CPU soon, so it may have promise in a few months
once it matures. The other question I have is about the GMA 950 video - I've
heard that Intel has opened their code dramatically and we can hope for
better XVMC support at some point? Is it ready now or would we want to drop
a Geforce card in that slot (Assuming the CPU could handle HD)?

Seems like a hacked $199 AppleTV is still the sweet spot for an HD FE at the
moment, IMHO.