[mythtv-users] All sound out S/PDIF

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 19 23:39:15 UTC 2008

On 05/19/2008 09:20 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
> At 11:14 PM -0700 5/17/08, Bob Sully wrote:
>
>> Right now, I still have to exit mythfrontend and run "iecset audio 0",
>>
> When configuring MythTV, the audio setting will look something like this:
>
> ALSA:iec958 {AES0: 0x02}
>
> That "AES0" part is actually a bitmap of settings. One of the bits is
> the equivalent of "iecset audio 0".

That would be AES0: 0x02.

> If you can figure out the right
> value and put it here, MythTV will automatically do the equivalent of
> "iecset audio 0" for you.

Though I thought he was saying the problem is that once this has
happened, his system never goes back to audio on (removing 0x02 from
AES0) meaning that something has broken his audio configuration so it's
not using a proper iec958 definition that sets the IEC958 status bits
properly with a lock.

The most likely way to break the configuration as described is to
specify the wrong device information (i.e. using a custom-defined
logical device, where the custom definition was created by someone who
didn't understand what he was doing--i.e. by copying/pasting stuff off a
mailing list post or wiki entry or random web page into the ALSA
configuration...).  (Yeah, I'm the guy who wrote the .asoundrc that's in
the wiki, but when I did, I included it in a /very/ long post which
described how it worked--providing enough information for people to go
out and do their own research to make it work for their systems.  I'll
also say that the unmodified .asoundrc I wrote--that's now in the
wiki--won't cause the issue with invalid IEC958 configuration.  There
are other modified versions of that .asoundrc in the wiki--some of which
may be able to cause the issue.)

Mike